Welcome to the Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education
The Bureau protects students and consumers through the oversight of California's private postsecondary educational institutions by conducting qualitative reviews of educational programs and operating standards, proactively combatting unlicensed activity, impartially resolving student and consumer complaints, and conducting outreach.
Office of Student Assistance & Relief
Established by Senate Bill 1192...
...the Office of Student Assistance and Relief (OSAR) was created for the purpose of advancing and promoting the rights of students of private colleges, and assisting students who suffer economic loss due to the unlawful activities or closure of a private college.
In collaboration with various State and federal agencies including the California Student Aid Commission, California Community Colleges Chancellor’s Office, Department of Veterans Affairs, U.S. Department of Education and the federal Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, the OSAR is committed to assisting California students and addressing the needs of those students attending private colleges.
- American Specialty College School Closure Outreach Event – 04/17/18
- Office of Student Assistance and Relief Quarterly Report: Third Quarter (Jan. 1 - Mar. 31)
- Office of Student Assistance and Relief Quarterly Report: Second Quarter (Oct. 1 - Dec. 31)
- San Francisco College of Cosmetology School Closure Outreach Event – 12/07/17
- DEADLINE for Annual Report submissions this Friday, December 1st, at 11:59 p.m.
- BPPE Advisory Meeting for November 15, 2017 – CANCELLED
- Ukiah Beauty College School Closure Outreach Event – 11/14/17
- Student Tuition Recovery Fund Order of Adoption – Effective 8/10/2017 - NEW!
- Office of Student Assistance and Relief – Now Open!
- Out-of-State Institution Registration Form – NEW!
- Emergency Regulations: Out-of-State Registration - Effective May 30, 2017
- Westech College School Closure Information
- Out-of-State Institution Registration Update
- Report: Increasing the Effectiveness of State Reporting Requirements and Student Disclosures for Private Postsecondary Institutions
- Student Tuition Recovery Fund Eligibility Changes
- Letter to Schools Regarding Senate Bill No. 1192
- Information on ACICS
- School Closure Information
The Bureau is working to make the online data process more efficient. As such, the portal will open mid-December with a mid-April due date. The Bureau will notify institutions with specific dates for the portal opening and due date. The Bureau is now accepting financial statements (hard copies) pursuant to 5, CCR Section 74110(b).
We apologize for any inconvenience.
Reminder!!! 2017 School Performance Fact Sheet (SPFS) Job Placement Data and Salary/Wage Data
Will Now Be Required with Your Annual Report Submissions.
An Annual Report must be filed with the Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education (Bureau) by each approved institution pursuant to California Education Code (CEC) section 94934. The Institution reports the required aggregate information for all locations (main and all branches)Submit Annual Report
School Performance Fact Sheet
A separate School Performance Fact Sheet (SPFS) shall be prepared for each approved educational program, for each main and each branch location. SPFS must include data for the two previous calendar years. SPFS are electronically submitted as a link with your Annual Report, due by December 1st.School Performance Fact Sheet Templates